We all remember making pasta jewelry in elementary school then taking it home to our parents, beaming with pride at our new found artistic talent! They were bonding family moments that were brought on by dried, uncooked pasta!
So we got to thinking: what else can we do with uncooked pasta? Here are a few things that we thought of:
1) Candle or Barbecue Lighter: If there’s a deep candle that needs to be lit, an uncooked spaghetti stick holds a flame easily enough and its long body allows it to reach the deepest of candles.
2) DIY Knife Holders: Get a large container and and pack it full of dried spaghetti and you have yourself a makeshift knife holder. Remove spaghetti to make room for more knives. The same concept could double as a pencil holder for children!
3) Emergency Tooth Picks: If you don’t have a toothbrush or toothpick around, but have some embarrassing food stuck in your teeth, don’t fear! Find yourself some uncooked spaghetti, linguine, or angel hair pasta and get to cleaning.
4) Skewers: Again, don’t rely on them all the time, but in a pinch they work great as skewers.
5) Baking Supports: Use lasagne sheets or spaghetti to start the base of your cake and then remove them once the shape has formed.
6) Of course, Art! Have your children make earrings, necklaces, bracelets, use them in drawings, and so on, with all different types of pasta. Don’t be afraid to experiment! If you’re out of ideas, a quick google will provide you with a ton of neat art and craft ideas that will be fun for the entire family.
Have any suggestions yourself? Let us know!!