Enjoy Patio Season with These Summer Recipes!
Warm days, endless nights and time spent with family and friends are just some of the reasons why we love this time of year. Of course, we can’t forget forget to include our other summer love: delicious food! If you are looking for tasty and simple mediterranean inspired refreshments, we’ve got two Italian staples that need to be enjoyed during the summer season.
Sangria, a wine punch enjoyed in Spain and Portugal has become known throughout the world as a refreshing drink to enjoy in hot summer weather. Although it may sound like a tough drink to make, this simple, yet popular party beverage can be made in a flash. Whether you prefer making it with white wine, red wine, or even wine-free, it’s sure to be a favourite with your guests. But this is no ordinary sangria recipe. In order to make this the best summer yet, we’ve called upon our very own Nathan Satanove to provide his personal tried and true recipes that has been a hit amongst his friends and family.
To make sangria, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- A big pitcher
- 2 cups of ice
- One bottle of chilled wine (we recommend using Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc, but feel free to use your favourite variety of wine)
- 1 orange, sliced, 1 lime, a kiwi, strawberries, blueberries, and any other fresh fruits you desire
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 oz. brandy (optional)
- ½ litre or soda water or ginger ale for a sweeter taste
First, place the ice into the pitcher and pour the wine over it. Squeeze the juice from the orange and lime into the pitcher and add the brandy if desired. Toss in the rest of your fruits, add sugar and soda, give it a good stir, and enjoy!
Pair it with Bruschetta!
Looking for an appetizer to complement your sangria? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. There’s only one food that should be paired with this delicious drink: bruschetta!
Here’s what you’ll need to make this Pantry Pantry approved bruschetta:
- One baguette, thinly sliced (Pro tip: when buying your baguette, ask for it to be cut. This will save you some time at home and ensures that each piece will be uniform).
- 8 oz. pesto (which you can pick up here along with a variety of our other homemade sauces).
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- Parmigiana cheese
- Balsamic reduction
Spread the pesto on the baguette slices and top with diced tomatoes. Afterwards, sprinkle the baguettes with Parmigiana, drizzle with balsamic reduction and enjoy!
What did you think of these summer recipes that are sure to be crowd pleasers? Let us know on Facebook and Twitter and feel free to send us your favourite summer recipes!