Spring Into the New Season with Pasta!
Spring is a time of new beginnings. After the drabness that comes with winter, we’re glad that our spirits will soon be lifted by the energy and colours of the new season. But leaves and aren’t the only things that come in a variety of shapes and colours. Did you know that there are over 600 different shapes of pasta made throughout the world?
While we’ve shown you some of the different cuts that we’ve got in our restaurant, pasta can also be made to suit all kinds of holidays and events. Getting ready for St. Patrick’s Day? Why not grab some green pasta? Coloured with spinach, it’s a great way to add some colour to any meal. You can also try red pasta, coloured with carrots, purple pasta, coloured with beets, or for the very adventurous, black pasta, coloured with squid ink! Whatever shape or colour you prefer, pasta always provides a healthy addition to your diet.
But why should you add more pasta to your meals? Here are a few reasons why we can’t get enough of this Italian staple :
- Pasta is fat free, cholesterol free, and is low in sodium.
- Enriched pasta is fortified with folic acid and is a good source of iron and several B vitamins.
- Pasta has a low glycemic index and does not cause blood glucose levels to rise quickly.
- If you want to sustain energy, pasta is a great dietary source of complex carbohydrates
- Current dietary guidelines suggest that 65% of daily calories should come from carbohydrates
If you’re thinking about making some positive changes in terms of healthy eating, top your plate with some pasta! Your taste buds will love it and you’ll also get an extra pep in your step just in time for spring! For more from Pasta Pantry, make sure you’re following us on Facebook and Twitter. We’ll be sharing all kinds of pasta-related news from our trattoria!